Province of the Episcopal Church in Rwanda

Church family:Anglican churches
Based in:Rwanda
Present in:
Membership*:

About membership

Statistics of church membership, number of churches, congregations, pastors, etc. are those given by the churches and organizations, unless otherwise indicated. WCC member churches have various ways of defining their membership: state churches in which virtually every citizen is baptized and thus counted as a member, churches which include in their membership persons who are baptized but not actively participating, churches in which only adult baptized or communicant members are counted, etc. No attempt has been made to classify the membership figures in such categories, because agreed upon indicators to so do not exist.

1000000
Bishops:9
Priests:400
Dioceses:9
Parishes:276
Member of:
 WCC (1961) 
Associate member of:
Periodicals:Episcopal Newsletter (quaterly, in English and Kinyarwanda)
Website:
(Eglise Episcopale au Rwanda, EER)

Two missionary doctors of the Church Missionary Society evangelized the eastern region of Rwanda in 1914-16. The first station of the Rwanda mission was established in 1925. The work grew with the revivals in the 1930s and 1940s. The first Rwandan bishop was appointed in 1965. That same year the church was called the Anglican Church of Rwanda, which became the Episcopal Church of Rwanda and was part of the Province of Rwanda, Burundi and Boga-Zaïre. In 1992 the church became an autonomous province within the Anglican Communion.

Like all strata of Rwandan society, the church suffered through the genocide, and one of its major priorities is to replace clergy through training. The church has a role as a healing ministry to the many traumatized people in Rwanda and in reconciliation, restoration, and rehabilitation. The church has also been involved in rural development, medical work, vocational training, education, and in the struggle against HIV/AIDS.

Last updated:01/01/06